This dish is a refreshing variation of the regular Ginataang Hipon. I love putting my own twist on recipes and with this, adding the coconut meat makes it so much more flavorful and exciting. It will definitely give you an amazing dose of SURPRISE! Now, this recipe, gets even better. Combine coconut milk, shrimp and coconut meat together and you’ll experience a truly tropical paradise.
Shrimps With Coconut (Ginataang Hipon With Buko)
- 2-3 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 1/4 cup Red Onion cut into slices
- 1 tablespoon Garlic chopped finely
- 5 pieces Plum Tomatoes deseeded and cut into thick strips
- 1 kilogram large Shrimps devein leaving the head and tail shells intact
- 3 cups Coconut Milk
- 2 stalks Lemongrass cut into slices
- 2 teaspoons Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Coconut Meat cut medium dice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Devein the shrimps carefully and completely leaving the head and tail shells intact.
- Pat dry the shrimps with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until they’re translucent.
- Add the garlic and sauté for about 1 minute.
- Lower the heat and add the tomatoes, cook them slowly until they’re soft and tender. This ensures that all its juices come out.
- Add the shrimps and continue to cook until the shrimps turn orange on both sides.
- Pour in the coconut milk, brown sugar and lemongrass. Stir until well blended.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper and simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve while hot. This dish is best served with rice.