Ube Halaya, also known as Ube Jam is a traditional Filipino dessert made from purple yams. There are different methods to prepare this creamy dessert but this recipe is the easiest to follow.
Ube Halaya (Purple Yam Jam)
- 1 kilogram Ube boiled and mashed
- 1 1/2 cups Fresh Coconut Milk
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 600 ml Condensed Milk
- Peel and boil the yams until tender. Cut the purple yams into bite pieces.
- Place the purple yams, coconut milk and whole milk in a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Using a big pan, add the pureed purple yams. Add the condensed milk.
- Turn on the heat to medium and let it simmer while stirring continuously for 20-30 minutes or until it thickens and pulls away from the side of the pan when stirring.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool down before transferring to a container.
- If you don’t have food processor, just mash the boiled purple yams using a potato masher. Once the purple yams are completely mashed, transfer it to the pan and add the coconut milk, whole milk and condensed milk. Simmer on medium heat while stirring continuously until becomes thick.
- There are purple yams that has a deep purple flesh, while some has lighter purple flesh. With the purple yams I bought, I was so lucky to get the ones that has deep purple flesh. I didn’t have to add violet food coloring but if you prefer to make your ube halaya looks more vibrant then you can add a bit of food coloring.
- This Ube Halaya recipe can be used as your flavor base in making ube ice cream.