Are you obsessed with strawberries like me? These red beauties are my favorite fruit to snack on. I also love using them as as key ingredient in many of my recipes.
These Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting recipe gives you cupcakes that are intense in strawberry flavor. The key is using fresh strawberries. The cupcakes may be super moist, fluffy and light but they are rich in strawberry goodness. The fresh fruit gives the right amount of sweet-tart to the whole dessert. This strawberry cupcake recipe is absolutely the BEST!
Strawberry Cupcakes With Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
- 1 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup Granulated White Sugar
- 1 large Egg
- 3 large Egg Whites
- 1/4 cup Strawberry Puree
- 1/4 cup Whole Milk (room temperature)
- 3/4 cups Fresh Strawberries (cut into medium dice)
- 1 1/2 cups Fresh Strawberries (cut into small dice)
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Sugar
Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 cup Strawberry Puree
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350°F)Line cupcake tins with cupcake papers.
- Start making the strawberry puree. In a medium saucepan, combine the strawberries, sugar, and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Transfer to a blender.
- Purée until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and let it cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine all the dry ingredients – the flour, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer with paddle attachment or hand mixer, gently beat the butter until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the sugar and continue mixing until it is creamy.
- Add the eggs slowly and continue beating until well combined, about 3 minutes.
- Fold in the dry ingredients in two parts to the wet ingredients until everything is well incorporated. Do not forget scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Pour in the milk into two parts, and continue beating until well combined.
- Pour in the strawberry puree and vanilla extract; beat until everything is well blended.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer.
- Scrape the sides and the bottom of the bowl, making sure everything is well combined and no ingredients are wasted.
- Stir in the chopped strawberries into the batter.
- Place the cupcake papers into the cupcake tin.
- Pour the batter (1/4 cup of batter or 75 grams) evenly among the cupcake tins.
- Bake in the oven for about 20-22 minutes. Use a toothpick to test for doneness.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes from the pan and transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting. In a mixing bowl, beat the butter on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar. Mix it into the butter slowly before turning on the mixer. Set the mixer to medium speed and beat until creamy and smooth. Make sure there is no grainy sugar texture.
- Add the strawberry puree, and continue to mix until the color is even. Scrape the sides and the bottom of the bowl to make sure everything is well incorporated.
- Pipe the frosting or spread frosting over cupcakes. Decorate with fresh strawberries.
- If you are using a stand mixer, combine butter and sugar in the mixer bowl, and beat them with the paddle attachment until creamy, light, and fluffy.
- You can store the excess puree in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week or in the freezer for up to two months