Packed with delicious chunks of fresh pineapple, orange, and the nutty flavor of walnut, these muffins will give you a truly tropical feel. They are super moist with just the right amount of sweet-citrus flavor. The Pineapple Orange and Walnut Muffin recipe is easy to make so you can enjoy them any time you want. Have them for breakfast with cheese or after every meal for when you’re craving a sweet-fruity dessert. The combination of flavors is absolutely wonderful.
Pineapple-Orange And Walnut Muffin
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour sifted
- 3/4 cup Unsalted Walnuts roasted and coarsely chopped. Reserve the 1/4 of walnuts for sprinkling on top of the muffins
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 120 grams Unsalted Butter (1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup Granulated White Sugar
- 1 large Egg
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk or Plain Yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon Orange Zest
- 150 grams Pineapple Chunks drained
- Orange Glaze
- 1/4 cup Orange Juice from 1 piece of Orange
- 1/4 cup Granulated White Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C (375 degrees F).
- Place the walnuts on a baking tray and toast in the oven for five minutes. Let it cool at room temperature before chopping.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. Set the dry ingredients aside.
- Using the mixing bowl of your electric mixer and with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy (about five minutes).
- Add the egg and beat until well combined.
- Turn off the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Beat in the buttermilk or yoghurt and orange zest.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour mixture.
- Fold in the chopped walnuts and drained pineapple. Don’t over mix the batter or you will have tough muffins after baking.
- Fill each muffin case (3/4 full) with the batter using an ice cream scoop or small soup ladle.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts and sprinkle on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, heat the orange juice and sugar over medium heat until the sauce thickens. Set aside and keep at room temperature.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let them cool for about 5-7 minutes before removing from the muffin pan.
- Remove the muffins from the pan and while the muffins are still warm, brush them right away with the orange glaze.
- Keep the ingredients at room temperature at all times, prior to baking.
- If you are using a standard muffin pan, this recipe can fill 12 muffin cases. A standard muffin pan has a standard size for each muffin case of about 2 1/2 inches in diameter with 12 cup-shaped depressions.
- If the recipe calls for a muffin pan, it is probably a standard size. A standard muffin pan has a standard size for each muffin case of about 2 1/2 inches in diameter with 12 cup-shaped depressions.
- The quantity of batter for each muffin case is 1/3 cup (75 grams).
- You can substitute 3/4 cup buttermilk or yoghurt with 3/4 cup milk plus 2 teaspoons lemon juice or white vinegar. After mixing them, let it stand for five minutes before using.
- If there are muffin cups that are empty, half fill the empty ones before baking, this will keep the pan from warping.
- Use muffin cases in muffin pans for easy clean-up.
- Aim to fill the cups 3/4 full with batter to have muffins that have slightly round top and to avoid from spilling out of the muffin case. If there is not enough room for muffins to expand before reaching the top of the cups, the muffin will flatten on top.
- Mix the dry ingredients and whisk the wet ingredients. Use a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to gently stir them together until everything is slightly moistened. If there are lumps, it is just perfect.
- You can store the muffins longer than one day. Line the bottom of an airtight container with paper towels, place the muffins in and then top with another layer of paper towels before sealing with the lid. The paper towels absorb the extra moisture, and your muffins will retain its moist texture and flavor for up to three days.