Give your tastebuds a fantastic surprise with these Lemon Yogurt Muffins. The excellent combination of flavors make the muffins zesty, sweet, moist and fluffy. The key to its great texture is the Greek yogurt. I have made these yummies many times and I still can’t get enough of them. Try these once and you’ll sure have a new favorite muffin flavor.
Lemon Yogurt Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups All-Purpose Flour sifted
- 3/4 cup + 3 tablespoons Caster Sugar
- 2 Lemon Zest
- 4 tablespoons Lemon Juice freshly squeezed
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Fresh Whole Milk
- 1/2 cup Canola Oil
- 2 large Egg lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
Candied Lemon Zest
- 2 Lemons well cleaned
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Caster Sugar
- Powdered Sugar for dusting on top of muffins
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg, yogurt, milk, and lemon juice. Stir into dry ingredients just until well combined.
- Fill each muffin case 3/4 full with the batter using an ice cream scoop or small soup ladle.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 5-7 minutes before removing from the muffin pan.
Candied Lemon Zest
- Get zest from lemons with a paring knife or vegetable peeler, keeping each piece long. Slice the white pith part using a paring knife. Cut into julienne slices.
- Place julienned zest in a small bowl and add boiling water. Let stand for 15 minutes and drain.
- In a small saucepan, add sugar and water and bring to boil over medium heat.
- When sugar is dissolved, add julienned zest, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain lemon zest. Separate them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle the peels with a lightly coating of powdered sugar so they are easy to separate.
- Garnish the muffins with candied lemon zest and powdered sugar.